Sunday 25 November 2012

Evaluation – Cityscape





The task was to design a cityscape and create it using with a black sticky-back plastic. The task seemed simple enough, I thought it would be a great idea for my portfolio, seeing as I'd like to study architecture. The difficult part was finding buildings that maintained the same perspective and depth.

I made only one design for my final piece as I was very pleased with it. The most two more noticeable buildings I used were designed by one of my favourite architects, Santiago Calatrava. The Alamillo Bridge in Seville, Spain (1987-1992) and HSB The Turning Torso in Malmö, Sweden (2001-2005) (also the tallest skyscraper in the Nordic countries with 190m). The remaining buildings were taken from a magazine drawing.

Cutting out the pieces required a lot of patience. It was frustrating trying to find out the correct pressure to cut with, if I wasn't careful I would cut through the sheet instead of the first black layer, this happened multiple times & was fixed by taping the cut parts from behind. The small window pieces were also difficult as they were small and fiddly. The material was tricky to use as if it was not cut through completely it would rip when it was pulled, making it look rough and badly done, this was the biggest problem for the positive side of the final piece.


Although I was, in general, pleased, I do feel that I could have added more detail & paid more attention to the aesthetics of the final outcome, it could have been neater. I did think I made an improvement by cutting off the bottom half making it look like a panoramic point of view, like how you'd see central London from Primerose hill. I personally think it made it slightly more unique.






No comments:

Post a Comment