Sunday 25 November 2012

Evaluation – Snowboard




The task was to create a snowboard design on a foam board with acrylic paint. The task at first seemed simple, finding swatch like samples from magazines but creating an innovative, eye-catching design wasn't as easy as I thought it might be. Having said this, it didn't take me long to draw out 2 final designs taking my likings into consideration.

From an old Mandala drawing, I'd done a year ago for a philosophy assignment, I took the snowboard design inspiration. I've always been curious about nature and so far I've included nature in most of my finale pieces, where acceptable, thinking about how consistency in theme could affect my grade, for the better, and how much I liked the original Mandala piece I decided I would try and make it work. Since the Mandala was superficially more spacious than the drawings look better laid out, so on the snowboard I had to cut down and keep the essential parts of the Mandala, my favourite parts; the sky with the blacked out buildings which transforms into the sea with the jellyfish on the other side. The building and the sea show a great contrast of the nature in which we live in. Seeing as it's a snowboard, I thought nature would be a great idea.

I did think about adding text, having researched online for inspiration I saw that most snowboards had text in very beautiful typefaces, as snowboarding is an extreme sport, the typefaces were mostly rough and very street, like graffiti. Because of this, I didn't do it. I wanted a simple yet eye-catching design. I did think of adding text with a lower opacity, giving it a translucent look, over the jelly fish, but thinking over that, I didn't want it to look too tacky.

Although, I thought my design was good, I could have put more effort into it. I like the shape I gave the over all board, but I could have sanded it out more, covering the pores properly, making it smoother or at least painted over it better. In general I thought my design good, but I don't think I showed enough evidence in my book as to how I properly got my final outcomes. I did photocopy on side of the final design to do a coloured experiment, as is required, but I had the coloured idea in my mind and I thought it pointless to redo on paper if I was already going to do it on the snowboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment